1. No matter how low you consider yourself, there is always someone ______ you wishing they were that high.
A. getting rid of B. getting along with
C. looking up to D. looking down upon
2. Joining the firm as a clerk, he got rapid promotion, and ______ as a manager.
A. ended up B. dropped out C. came back D. started off
3. It takes a lot of ______ to become a good swimmer.
A. train B. exercise C. practice D. performance
4. The Minister's refusal to meet the press ______ just how serious the crisis is.
A. detected B. relieved C. revealed D. concealed
5. Supplying food and employment, regulating our climate and providing transportation, the ocean is ______ to our lives in many ways.
A. basic B. accessible C. dramatic D. known