Geography is the study of the relationship between people and the land. Geographers compare and contrast 1 places on earth. But they also 2 beyond the individual places and consider the earth as a 3 . The word Geography 4 from two Greek words, ge, the Greek word for “earth” and graphein, 5 means “ to write”. The English word geography means “to describe the earth”. 6 geography books 7 on a small area like a town or city. Other deal with a state, a region, a nation, or an 8 continent. Many geography books deal with the whole earth. Another 9 to divide the study of 10 is to distinguish between physical geography and 11 geography. The former focus on the natural world; the 12 starts with human beings and studies 13 human being and their environment act 14 each other. 15 when geography is considered as a single subject, 16 branch can neglect the other.
A geographer might be described 17 one who observes, records, and explains the 18 between places. If places were alike, there would be little need for geographer.
We know, 19 ,that no two places are exactly the same. Geography, 20 ,is a point of view, a special way of looking at places.
1. A. similarB. distantC. variousD. famous
2. A. pass B. go C. reach D. get
3. A. whole B. untilC. part D. total
4. A. falls B. results C. removesD. comes
5. A. what B. which C. that D. it
6. A. Some B. Most C. Many D. Few
7. A. rely B. rest C. reckon D. focus
8. A. extensive B. overall C. entire D. enormous
9. A. way B. means C. habit D. technique
10. A. world B. earth C. geography D. globe
11. A. mental B. military C. economic D. cultural
12. A. second B. next C. later D. latter
13. A. when B. what C. where D. how
14. A. upon B. as C. for D. to
15. A. And B. But C. Therefore D. For
16. A. neither B. oneC. either D. each
17. A. for B. as C. toD. by
18. A. exceptions B. sameness C. difference D. divisions
19. A. moreover B. meanwhile C. however D. or else
20. A. still B. then C. nevertheless D. moreover
1. 【答案】 C. various
【解析】本题测试词义搭配. various 各种各样的，不同的。句子的意思是“地理学家比较和对比地球上各种不同的地域”。可见，similar, famous, distant 均不符合题意
2. 【答案】B. go
【解析】本题测试惯用搭配.go beyond(= exceed) 超越，超过。
3. 【答案】A. whole
【解析】本题测试词义搭配. as a whole 作为整体，常跟在名词后面，如：We must examine these problems as a whole.
4. 【答案】D. comes
【解析】本题测试结构型词义搭配. come from 来自，来源于，正合题意。fall from 从…….落下;result from 由…… 产生，因……而造成：1)Sickness often results from eating too much. 2) Nothing has result from my efforts.
remove…from… 把……从…...去掉;撤职：1)It is difficult to remove the stain from the clothes. 2) They removed him from his position. 3) The corrupt official was removed from office. 由此可见 falls, results 与removes 均不符合题意。
5. 【答案】B. which
【解析】本题测试结构搭配. which 引导非限定性定语从句，修饰graphein.
6. 【答案】A. Some
注释：本题测试逻辑搭配.做cloze 试题的时，考生必须从语篇的角度去选择适当的词语，是文章在逻辑意思和结构上完整统一。本题与下句联系密切，下句中有Others,故本题应选Some,从而构成句型：Some…. Others…...。