Students will know about the relation between shadow and the sun through reading the passage.
Students will master the usage of comparative degree in the reading.
Students will apply the comparative degree to retell the story.
Students will be more interest in learning English.
Key and difficult point:
Key Point: Students will master the usage of comparative degree in the reading.
Difficult Point: Students will apply the comparative degree to retell the story.
Step 1: Warming-up
2. Play a riddle--it rises up and goes down every day, what is it? and students guess it’s the sun, then lead to the story about the sun.
Step 2: Pre-reading
According to the word “sun”, students have a brainstorm about what natural phenomenon about sun they have known.
Step 3: While-reading
1. Fast reading: students read the passage fast and figure out what the tree and the duck are talking about.
2. Careful reading: students read the passage carefully and answer the question: why does the shadow get longer when the sun gets lower? And underline the words with “er”.
3. The teacher explains the words with “er” to the students.
1. Students work in pairs to make a role-play (one is the little duck, the other is the old tree) to make a conversation according to the passage.
2. Students work in groups to find the real reason why the shadow gets longer when the sun gets lower.
Step5: Summary and Homework
Summary: ask a student to conclude the content of the lesson and summarize with the whole class.
Homework: students tell the story to their parents.
1.Do you think repeated practice is suitable for English learning?
Reciting is a way of practicing. There is a gap between understanding English and using English. For students, even if they think they can remember what they learn in class, after class while applying the knowledge taught in class, it possibly doesn’t work very well. So it is a practice way but we can not only use it. We need to use more practice ways together reciting to ensure the effect of teaching and learning.
2.What do you think of English class activities such as role-play?
English class activities play an important role in English teaching. These performances can stimulate students' interest in learning English, mobilize students' enthusiasm for learning English, activate classroom atmosphere, reduce students' learning pressure, help students overcome fear of English learning, cultivate students' participation awareness, cooperation spirit and leadership ability.